Wondering why there haven’t been any Snipers updates in a while? Well, it’s because there’s not much to write about–we just keep on losing! This Wednesday we’re playing the LOSER consolation game. This is the first season where we’ve been the absolute worst team in the league.
For the first time, I found myself not excited about going to a game. One week I caught myself trying to find an excuse not to go. Oh how far I’ve come since the addicting phase where I would play 3 times a week! I’ve found several excuses for not signing up to play next season.
- Energy. I’ve been doing a lot of freelance work lately, and that cuts into my sleeping time. No sleep = no energy for hockey.
- Energy again. Ever since Caleb has learned to walk/run, Chesney and I are continually running right behind cleaning up the carnage. Funny how a 1 year old can wear you out.
- No one (I know) to play with. It was fun playing with Andrew on my team. And it’s fun playing with the cousins. The guys in SV league teams are fun and all, but there’s nothing like playing side by side with a good buddy.
- We can save a bundle of money. At $159/season, playing every season can be taxing on the budget.
- Last but not least, the absence of the NHL this year isn’t providing any inspiration for getting out there and playing.
In a nutshell, I think I’m just drained and need to want to play hockey again. I’m sure after one season off I’ll have that craving to play again. And I’ll be playing with the cousins on some Saturday nights (Darn you, gas prices!)
Another bright side to this is maybe I’ll get to wash my gear for the first time in 5 seasons! My gear bag and everything in it is just plain RANCID. No amount of Febreeze can help it now.
By the way, I played with the cousins last Satruday for the first time in months because of rain and wanting to save on gas. It was FUN. Yes, I stink compared to them, but it’s great to play with people not so serious about the scoreboard. Oh, and thanks Lisa, for watching Caleb while I played.